About Cowichan Tribes
About half of our members live on the Reserve. Ours is a relatively young population, with a large percentage of the population under the age of 35.
We have seven traditional villages: Kw’amutsun, Qwum’yiqun’, Hwulqwselu, S’amuna’, L’uml’umuluts, Hinupsum, Tl’ulpalus.
We have been delegated responsibilities for a variety of member services including Children & Families, Education, Health, Housing, Membership, and Social Development.
- Total Reserve area is currently 2,400 hectares (5,900 acres), made up of nine Reserves.
- Core Traditional Territory is approximately 375,000 hectares (900,000 acres).
- Governed by a Chief and 12 Councillors, within the framework of the Indian Act.
- Part of the Hul’qumi’num Treaty Group. In Stage 4 (Agreement in Principle) of the Treaty Process.
- Delegated responsibilities in Children and Families, Education, Health, Housing, and Social Development.
- Own and operate Khowutzun Development Corporation (KDC) group of companies, which includes:
- Khowutzun Forest Services Limited Partnership (KFCLP)
- Quw’utsun Cultural and Conference Centre (QCCC)
- Collective annual revenues of over $57 million.
- 800+ employees – one of the single largest employers in the region.